Monday 10 July 2017

Toryglen Street, Oatlands, March 28th 1961



It was around 5.30pm on the wet afternoon of the 28th March 1961 that a report of a child having fallen from a third storey window at 39 Toryglen Street, Oatlands, Glasgow, came through the ambulance  radio to driver Jack Kirkland. He would later recall that accidents of this kind weren't particularly unusual at that time, he would tell a reporter in the 1980s: 'Accidents of that nature were a common occurrence in those days, especially with the old fashioned windows.' But it soon became apparent that this was no ordinary fall, and this was no accident. Before the ambulance had even reached the scene, a second call came over the radio reporting that not one, but several children had fallen from the same window, as the emergency services fielded dozens of frantic calls from the public. Jack would later recall: 'As we turned into Toryglen Street we were confronted by a nightmare. There was frantic activity, police cars everywhere. The policemen were trying to clear a path for us through the shocked and horrified groups of people ...Women in headscarves and aprons held each other and cried uncontrollably.'



As the responders forced their way through the gathered crowd they were confronted by the sight of five crumpled young bodies lying on the pavement. One of the bodies, four year old Marjorie Hughes, had died on impact and had been mercifully covered by a blanket by onlookers, but miraculously the other four children were still alive, though gravely injured. A neighbour, 45 year old James Haiming, would tell reporters his memories of that day. He had just returned from work when he heard two sickening thuds outside his Toryglen Street home. He would recall: 'I looked out and saw two kiddies lying there.' Having rushed out into the street he saw another child plunging toward the pavement from the third storey window. 'I half caught him on my shoulder before he fell to the ground - but before I could do anything else I looked up and saw two more kiddies on their way down. I felt so helpless, there was nothing I could do.'



 As the paramedics attended to the four injured children, the story of that days events began to emerge. It seemed that the children had been invited by a local woman to her top floor flat to look at a litter of puppies. But once the children were inside, the woman bolted the door, opened the window, and began to throw the children from the window one by one. Once the children began to realise the reality of the situation, they tried to escape. Neighbours hearing the commotion ran up the stairs and began trying to break down the door, while on the other side a sixth child, a young boy, desperately tried to unbolt the door. He would escape unharmed but suffered badly from shock. 


The dead child was Marjorie Hughes (4) of 15 Toryglen Street, and the four injured children, Francis Lennon (7), his sister Margaret Lennon (5) also of 15 Toryglen Street; Thomas Downie Devaney (4) and Daniel McNeill (5). The woman was 37 year old Jean Barclay Waddell, a former hotel receptionist and shorthand typist, she was charged the following day with 1 count of murder and 4 counts of attempted murder at Glasgow's Sheriff Court. During her appearance she was said to have 'bitten her lip but otherwise seemed quite composed.' She would later be found insane and unfit to plead, and was afterwards confined to Carstairs psychiatric hospital.

Jean Barclay Waddell, 37


It would later emerge that Waddell had suffered a complete mental breakdown following the breakup of her marriage to soldier Floyd Oakman. After the end of the second world war she entered a sanatorium to be treated for tuberculous, but while undergoing treatment she assaulted a nurse and was then transferred to a mental institution.  She was said to have suffered from delusions and paranoia, sometimes believing herself t o be Empress of Japan, at other times convinced that she was carrying an illegitimate baby, or that the police were watching her. It would later emerge that she had been subject to electric shock treatment in an attempt to alleviate these symptoms. Afterwards she was said to be so frightened of undergoing shock treatment again that she would tell people that she would rather die, she would attempt suicide by overdose a few days before the murder. Crime writer David Leslie would say of the case: 'What would save Jean from being hung, as much of the public called for, was that by 1961 politicians and most of the public had lost the stomach for marching a female to the scaffold.' She would later fade into anonymity and died in a care home in 2009 at the age of 86.

39 comments:

  1. Anyone from granton st oatlands please contact me

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was one of the kids who survived this tragedy.... I'm.not from the area though

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your Dads name l was one of the children along with my sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a terrible thing that happened to your sister remember her your Mum and Dad lived in the same close as us we lived on the top floor.

      Delete
    2. I witnessed this happening as my friend and I were standing in Polmadie Road and we thought it it was bundles of clothes getting thrown over, we were 10

      Delete
  4. My Dad was Danny Mcneill...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum and dad and I lived in the next close. I was 3 at the time this tragedy happened. Later in life I knew your dad when we all lived in EK, he used to come to our house to play my piano, fabulous pianist! We went out together a few times. Such a lovely guy, kind caring, thoughtful and very talented xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you for such lovely words about my wee Dad, he is very sorely missed

      Delete
    3. Hi Mammak and MarTem57. I would love to chat to you both as I am currently involved in a writing project where this came up. Could you send me a wee message please? Thanks

      Delete
  5. We were all pals used to play together does Dad still live in Glasgow?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so nice to hear from someone else who survived this. Sadly my wee Dad passed away in 2008 but he made an incredible life for himself and lived it well.
    I hope that both you and your sister are happy and keeping well

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear the sad news of your Dad we moved away from Toryglen Street just before lturned 11 down to England to Stevenage where my old Mum still lives she turned 90 last year Thomas my youngest brother was 4months when we moved away Margaret lives down in Cornwall Christine also lives in Stevenage l now live in Knebworth where they have the pop concerts after living in Australia for a number of years Bernard the middle brother passed away 14years ago Thomas has been back in Scotland for a few years now in Dumbarton l have 4 of a family 2boys and 2 girls all.grown up of course .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank I would love to chat to you. I am involved in a writing project about Glasgow and this came up. Would you be interested in having a chat? Thanks
      christinalittleson@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Frank, are you related to Frank, Tommy and John Lennon - all brothers around Crown Street? If so, they were my dad’s cousins who he was brought up with. Interesting!

      Delete
  8. Always remember this, happened on my 10th Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lived in Cramond Street and was on stairs with other kids when she came up stairs but me and another boy went to a church or chapel thing as you got a wee picture show and juice and a biscuit. When I got home place was mobbed and when I got home I got a slap from my mother as I didn't tell her where I was going and police and folk were in our house as they thought we might have got caught up in the tragic events.i remember visiting one of the boys when he got out of hospital - I'm sure he stayed in Cramond Street as well and he had badly damaged legs and I'm sure he wore glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gordon were you one of the boys who was in the lobby of the single end when l was taken into the wee lobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank I was not in house - myself and another boy who I think was Robert Duguid were sitting on stairs with you and others and we didnt go upstairs as we went up to St Lukes hall as they showed a wee picture show and you got a drink of diluting juice and a biscuit



      Delete
  11. I was 11 years old when this happened we were playing in Elmfoot street at the time and just missed what happened

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember ths story, just reminded about it today, good to see one of my Oatlands photos used, I had no idea at the tinme that this sad event had taken place in tha area

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember this event, good to see one of my Oatlands shots used in the story, when I was taking shots of Oatlnds I had no idea what had happend in the area

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m sure y brother was the one who escaped

    ReplyDelete
  15. God bless them that's horrific ����

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Dad was the 6th child who managed to escape. His name was Danny Campbell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Dad was in the wee lobby with me as l was grabbed by the woman the door was kicked in and your Dad got away thank goodness you have solved a mystery for me after all these years as l couldn't remember the other lads name hope is all well with him

      Delete
  17. Hi All. I am currently involved in a writing project about Glasgow and this is a subject that came up. I would love to speak to anyone who was involved in this or has memories of this. My email is christinalittleson@gmail.com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. She did not die in a care home she died at home

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to hear some of us are still alive! I have just recently got in touch with my old pal Mick Sharkey who put this on-Tam Devenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my name is don I moved into that close wen me an my wife got married in 93 everyone in the area still remembered those poor kids and I just want to say it's great to hear all u're memories and how the survivers went on to lead long lives god bless the poor baby who died god bless u all

      Delete
  20. My dad Duncan Williamson told me this story. He didn’t tell his mum and dad where he was going that day so they thought he was there also. But it turns out he took his wee 3 wheeler bike over to Richmond Park.
    These were the kids who he would always play with.
    Such a tragic event and so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was 5 weeks old,lived at 21 Toryglen St,

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was born above address 1961-1975.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is there anybody who went to Adelphi Secondary in the early 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Omg. I just mentioned this on fb and I was told I could look it up. I really think that’s me in the pic with the sweater white across the chest I stayed on polmadie rd played with these kids 🥺

    ReplyDelete
  25. My dads sister and my cousins all lived in cramond st my auntie Kathy & roddy there daughter is Maryjane sons is roddy tonner if any 1 rembers them my dad was born brought up in gorbals benthall street frank park if any 1 rembers my wee da

    ReplyDelete
  26. My brother saw this tragedy take place he believes he is one of the boys looking up in the picture he lived in polmadie rd at the time his name is Robert Sheerin

    ReplyDelete
  27. My dad's cousin owned the wee barbers opposite Richmond Park,his name was Louie Pascal.

    ReplyDelete